ant-dev mailing list archives

From Alejandro Abdelnur <alejandro.abdel...@sun.com>
Subject on *evil practices*
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2001 00:52:57 GMT

i've been in this alias for just a  couple of weeks, and i've already seen
replies to requested features on the tone of the one below.

i do not think that the way of avoiding *evil practices* should be achieved
by trimming the capabilities or the power of expresion of Ant but by
provinding guidelines on how to use things. always there are things that
look like *evil practices* to purists but are needed by a real task.

in my personal case, the enhancements i've proposed in the last weeks have
been rejected because of similar reasons -ant would become, or would be
used, as an scripting language-.

so, for most of my proposals, i've re-implemented them as new tasks
(extending the original ones) -i.e. xproperty, xantcall, xfilter. i'm happy
with this approach as it let me do my *evil practices* without having to
modify the core.

however, for some of the changes i did need to tap some code into the
Project and Target classes, but in the way these classes are instanciated
they are not pluggable. i've modified the code so the implementation of
Project and Target being used is defined in an ant/defaults.properties file.
i would need the same for the ProjectHelper class, but in this case is a
little more complicated as the static methods should be made instance
methods and this requires some change all over the place.

i do not think that making the Target, Project and ProjectHelper classes
configurable does directly increase the evilness of ant but it would
simplify the porting of custom features to future realeases of ant.

i hope you consider making the implementation of Target, Project and
ProjectHelper configurable, and i would be glad to take on the
responsibility of making the changes if you agree to them.

thxs and regards.

alejandro.