ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant vs Make
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2001 09:17:39 GMT
On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 18:14, Maurice le Rutte wrote:
> The author claims Ant recompiles every source every time. Big mistake. He
> also doesn't mention that additional tasks are extremely easy to plug in.

Theres a few claims he makes that is just blatently wrong ;) I suspect he has
barely used Ant and thus is somewhat biased.

> Ant has quickly become the build tool of choice, free choice, not a forced
> one. This is not because 'make' is better. But then I've always disliked
> make, so I'm biased.

I actually like Make (well at least GNU Make) but Ant is definetly a far
superior platform for working with java and similar systems. It is
*currently* inferioir in complex setups or compiling native code. However
with Ant2 I hope the complex setups will be easily tacklable.

--
Cheers,

Pete

you've made a dangerous leap right over common
sense, like some kind of metaphysical Evil Knievel