ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs GZip.java
Date Sun, 16 Sep 2001 02:19:11 GMT
On Fri, 14 Sep 2001 16:45, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Peter Donald <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:
> > Thats what I originally thought but then I realized that
> >
> > <gzip src="X" zipfile="Y" />
> >
> > is very similar in form to
> >
> > <copy file="X" tofile="Y" />
>
> I don't follow that logic either (if at all, it would be <move>),
> sorry.

Consider this the last ditch effort ;)

I think it makes more sense for the source file to be designated with file=""
attribute because that follows convention of rest of ant tasks. Any
objections to that?

Regardless of whether GZip is more like Move/Copy or whatever it still has a
source file and a destination. The convention of older tasks is somewhat
haphazard but when Copy task was rewritten the source files are unadorned
attributes while destination file/directorys are prefixed with "to".

I would actually like to see this convention moved towards all tasks in ant2
.. for tasks like javac that have source files and destination files. So
instead of srcdir/destdir or whatever task-specific conventions used we would
have dir (for srcdir) and todir (for destdir).

So source is always unadorned and destination is always prefixed with "to".

In the gzip case we have two attributes both of which are files (src and old
zipfile designate files). While it may be good to have one of them named
file, I personally don't think we should break convention and have the
unprefixed one designate destination. I would much prefer we keep the
existing zipfile attribute in that case.

So what do you think ? Have I convinced you or do I have to go revert the
changes ? ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete

| Wise men don't need advice. Fools don't take it. |
|              -Benjamin Franklin                  |