ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: on *evil practices*
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2001 02:30:13 GMT
On Wed, 12 Sep 2001 10:52, Alejandro Abdelnur wrote:
> i do not think that the way of avoiding *evil practices* should be achieved
> by trimming the capabilities or the power of expresion of Ant but by
> provinding guidelines on how to use things. always there are things that
> look like *evil practices* to purists but are needed by a real task.

Just becase you can doesn't mean you should. I am sure we could increase the
expressiveness of ant by allowing perl expressions + lisp/tcls command
constructs. At the same time we could throw away the xml format as that is
waaaay too verbose.

BTW do you think java is a weak language because it doesn't allow the
expressiveness of pointers?

> in my personal case, the enhancements i've proposed in the last weeks have
> been rejected because of similar reasons -ant would become, or would be
> used, as an scripting language-.

theres already enough decent scripting languages out there (javascript, tcl
and python being my favs). If you want a scripting language it would seem
that you should use a real scripting language because you will never be
satisfied with ant.

> however, for some of the changes i did need to tap some code into the
> Project and Target classes, but in the way these classes are instanciated
> they are not pluggable. i've modified the code so the implementation of
> Project and Target being used is defined in an ant/defaults.properties
> file. i would need the same for the ProjectHelper class, but in this case
> is a little more complicated as the static methods should be made instance
> methods and this requires some change all over the place.

All these things will be pluggable in Ant2 but in Ant1.x it seems unlikely.
The reason is that it would probably require backwards incompatible changes
which we are loath todo at this stage. That said I haven't had the time to
proppely look at your changes yet so ...

--
Cheers,

Pete

For every complex problem there is a solution that
is simple, neat and wrong