ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: if/unless on fail??
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2001 15:02:56 GMT
On Tue, 11 Sep 2001 22:36, Glenn McAllister wrote:
> > On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Peter Donald <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:
> > > Couldn't spot the reason - can anyone enlighten me?
> >
> > "All tasks or no task" and "all tasks" has been rejected IIRC.

ahh - yes - that sounds right ;)

> That was pretty much my position.  I agreed with the person who
> was pushing for if/unless on fail that it would make life a lot
> easier in the case of wanting to kill the build early if a
> particular resource was missing.  My concern, however, was
> opening up that slippery slope, so my -1.

hmm true. I guess I can't see where fail tasks would not require if/unless.
Is there any (supported) use case where this is so? I just went to use it for
the first time today and found it somewhat cumbersome. Not cumbersome because
of lacking features in ant but because the task is not useful as a standalone
task but has to be munged into an ugly target construct.

> That being said, I'm willing to conceed that if we get a
> concensus vote on changing fail to have if/unless, I'll go along
> with it.  Its an unusual enough situation that an exception can
> be justified, and seeing as we "thought police" are vigorously on
> the prowl, it shouldn't go any further. :-)

;)

--
Cheers,

Pete

I just hate 'yes' men, don't you Smithers?