ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Sciara" <antsci...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Task to check that the layering and componentazing of an application is followed
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2001 10:58:22 GMT
Thanks Vincent,

I had a quick look and it seems to do much more than what I was talking about.

Also it looks like it will be difficult to put in place in the kind of environement I work
in and to quiet a few environments (stop me if I am wrong): the java language it self is changed,
it has its own compiler and debugger, etc, etc. Not all programmers are wizkids and this looks
a big step aside java.

The only thing I need is something that will organise my compilation such as it tells me I
did not follow the layering that has been agreed on during design. No touching the of the
java itself. One might be more organised in the way of organising the packages, but that all.

See what I mean? Or shall I elaborate further ont he idea?

Emmanuel

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Vincent Massol
  To: ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org
  Sent: Monday, September 24, 2001 11:41 AM
  Subject: Re: Task to check that the layering and componentazing of an application is followed

  Hi Emmanuel,

  Do you mean a tool that will check that standard practices and patterns are followed ? Like
verifying (for example) that for any use case, there is a Struts Action class, ... If this
is the case, it is very difficult to write. However, such as tool might already exist. It
is called AspectJ (and there is an Ant task for it), http://aspectj.org/. It is an addition
to the java language and offer some additional syntax to capture what is called cross-cutting
aspects. With the current Java language it is very difficult to extract pattern rules and
define them explicitely somewhere. They are rather mixed in the different methods and there
is no way to express them.

  AspectJ will let you define such patterns or behaviours. It can be used in several ways:
as a tool in the debugging phase of program to ensure that correct rules are followed. It
can also be used during production for modifying states. See the AspectJ tutorial.

  It works by providing a compiler, which produces java code which is then compiled by javac.
All this is automated using an Ant task if you wish.

  Have a look and I'm sure you'll be amazed at what you can do with it, as I have been. I
have not used it yet but plan to do so soon enough...

  Hope it helps
  -Vincent