ant-dev mailing list archives

From "hussein Badakhchani" <huss...@badakhchani.fsnet.co.uk>
Subject Re: JAR task always creates a META-INF/manifest.mf is this necessary?
Date Sun, 30 Sep 2001 03:52:58 GMT
I see where your comming from, and your suggestion is valid for standard
archieving needs. My problem is that I also use the WAR task which extends
the Jar task. This means all my WAR files have META-INF/MANIFEST.MF. The
servlet specification 2_2 implys that the META-INF directory is also
optional for WAR files.

Web Application Archive File
Web applications can be packaged and signed, using the standard Java Archive
tools, into a Web
ARchive format (war) file. For example, an application for issue tracking
could be distributed in an
archive with the filename issuetrack.war.
When packaged into such a form, a META-INF directory will be present which
contains
information useful to the Java Archive tools. If this directory is present,
the servlet container must
not allow it be served as content to a web client's request.

(Granted 2_3 maintains that a META-INF directory will be present in WAR
files but not necessarily WEBAPPS)

By patching the jar task the new functionality will be inherited by the WAR
task. I guess I would like the option to not include META-INF directories in
my WAR files as well as my JAR files, which seems fair to me.

Hussein