ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Description
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2001 09:50:01 GMT
On Thu, 09 Aug 2001, Craeg K. Strong <cstrong@arielpartners.com>
wrote:

> But... one could provide this type of functionality regardless of
> whether <description> was implemented as a subclass of DataType or
> Task, right?

Sure.

> For that matter, Property could probably be implemented as a
> DataType, too.

Agreed as well - or to turn that around, looking at the mutant
proposal, data types are tasks.  There is room for some discussion,
but we've agreed to unify properties and data types in Ant2, just not
decided on the details yet.

> DataTypes can be references, Tasks cannot.

Tasks can.

> Tasks know who their "owning Target" is, DataTypes do not.

Which may be wrong - depends on the scoping discussions will have to
finish, err, start one time.

> Task itself does not enable references, but Property which inherits
> from Task, does.

"enable references"?

> DataTypes all inherit a capability to detect circular references.

There is nothing that forces data types to extend DataType.

Stefan