ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JFlex task - license question
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2001 11:26:11 GMT
On Tue, 07 Aug 2001, Rafal Mantiuk <Rafal.Mantiuk@bellstream.pl>
wrote:

> Writing a task that does not import ANY Ant code is not as easy as I
> thought. I can easily cope with execute() method, but removing all
> BuilException(s) makes the code really nasty.

You could roll your own Exception type with similar semantics.

> Is it really against Apache Software License to import Ant code (to
> refer, not to include) in GPL code ???

Not at all - it is against the GPL to distribute non GPL code together
with GPL code.

> If it is so, can "jflex" task be distributed separately from Ant and
> JFlex under possibly another license (public domain - no
> restrictions) ?

You can't use a different license than GPL if you use GPLed code - you
can do what you want with code that uses code licensed under the
Apache Software License, as long as you acknowledge the ASF if you
distribute it the Apache code.

Stefan