ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Re: Description
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2001 06:28:58 GMT
On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Conor MacNeill <>

> OK, I have some thoughts on this patch. Firstly, let me say that I
> think a description element is a good thing. In fact I thought that
> was how the target descriptions should have been done

Which is possible, now that data types can be nested into targets as

> My concern is the fact that description has been implemented as a
> data type.

Mea culpa - I advised Craeg to do so.

> The description, is not a datatype.

Not sure why you think so.  In the longer run I was thinking of
something like

  This is a great project, it does ...

  <markup type="html"><![CDATA[
    <h1>Great Project</h1>

  <markup type="docbook"><![CDATA[
      <title>Great Project</title>
      <para>This is a great project, it does ...

and various frontends could ask the description element for the type
of description they can handle best ...  This would include stuff like
generating build documentations in various formats.

> The fact that this datatype does not hold its own data but redirects
> it straight into the project object is an indicator of this
> mismatch, IMHO.

This is an implementation detail - the description element could very
well hold its data by itself (and should IMHO).

> BTW, You can't currently have two <description> elements although I
> guess we could decide what that means and potentially concatenate
> them.

If you prefer, we can role back the change, discuss it and schedule it
for 1.5 (sorry, Craeg).

View raw message