ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Description
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2001 06:28:58 GMT
On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Conor MacNeill <conor@cortexebusiness.com.au>
wrote:

> OK, I have some thoughts on this patch. Firstly, let me say that I
> think a description element is a good thing. In fact I thought that
> was how the target descriptions should have been done

Which is possible, now that data types can be nested into targets as
well.

> My concern is the fact that description has been implemented as a
> data type.

Mea culpa - I advised Craeg to do so.

> The description, is not a datatype.

Not sure why you think so.  In the longer run I was thinking of
something like

<description>
  This is a great project, it does ...

  <markup type="html"><![CDATA[
    <h1>Great Project</h1>
]]></markup>

  <markup type="docbook"><![CDATA[
    <sect1>
      <title>Great Project</title>
      <para>This is a great project, it does ...
    </sect1>
]]></markup>
</description>

and various frontends could ask the description element for the type
of description they can handle best ...  This would include stuff like
generating build documentations in various formats.

> The fact that this datatype does not hold its own data but redirects
> it straight into the project object is an indicator of this
> mismatch, IMHO.

This is an implementation detail - the description element could very
well hold its data by itself (and should IMHO).

> BTW, You can't currently have two <description> elements although I
> guess we could decide what that means and potentially concatenate
> them.

Agreed.

If you prefer, we can role back the change, discuss it and schedule it
for 1.5 (sorry, Craeg).

Stefan