ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Introspection Change comments
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2001 05:26:56 GMT
On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Peter Donald <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:

>> We should talk about that in the
>> context of Ant2, for now it would give us a major backwards
>> compatibilty problem.
>
> I can not see that - where do you see the compatability problem?

We already have built-in tasks that have attributes and nested
elements of the same name (see javac with classpath).  Tasks may have
chosen to do different things with them (javac does, but this is
silly).

> Attributes are restricted to primitive types + string and File at
> the moment,

Not true at all - attributes are restricted to types that have a
constructor using a single String argument, while lements are
restricted to types that have a no-arg constructor.  I'd guess it is
not that uncommon for a class to support both types of constructors.

Stefan