ant-dev mailing list archives

From <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs Zip.java
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2001 03:01:50 GMT
On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Conor MacNeill wrote:

> Costin,
>
> You should be using <zipfileset>.
>
> Please check the commit for revision 1.29
> You should be using <zipfileset> rather than a <fileset>.

Unfortunately, that would not work with Ant 1.3. With this change, the
build.xml file will work with both 1.3 and 1.4.

Incompatible changes should be minimized - this fix preserve
backward compat, and I don't think the "price" is too big.

My "scratch" is very simple - we have a build.xml file using <war>, and
everyone is using ant1.3 - the current release. It's very painfull to
switch back and forth - I'm using the current ant. Of course, when we
release ant1.4, this will be painfull to a lot of people who will have to
update their build.xml files.

There is also a comment in ZipFileTest:
 * At present, ZipFileSets are not surfaced in the public API.  FileSets
 * nested in a Zip task are instantiated as ZipFileSets, and their
attributes
 * are only recognized in the context of the the Zip task.
 * It is not possible to define a ZipFileSet outside of the Zip task and
 * refer to it via a refid.  However a standard FileSet may be included by
 * reference in the Zip task, and attributes in the refering ZipFileSet
 * can augment FileSet definition.

Costin