ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject RE: Reminder: [SUBMIT] Attr, a chmod equivalent for Windows
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2001 13:20:13 GMT
Martin van den Bemt wrote:

> maby you don't have that problem, since you have commit access. If
invested
> time isn't "appreciated" then I don't invest any more time, unless I am
> convinced something actually happens with it.. (even a -1 would be ok for
> me..). That is excpected feedback for projects that are actively asking
> get involved..
>
> If you say it isn't a waste of time, please let me know how getting stuff
> into ant actually works (not talking about patches..), so we are clear on
> that (1 month before going beta we look at all new submissions or
something
> like that?).

Some historical perspective.  Just over a year ago (15 Jun 2000 to be
exact), Conor MacNeill was added as a committer to jakarta-ant.  He was
nominated by me, and quickly ratified.

The preceeding that point involved a significant period of time where I was
the primary committer of patches, and quite a number of patches were not
getting the attention they deserved.  What made Conor stand out was the
combination of patience and persistence he demonstrated, as well as a mix
of good humor, good ideas, and respect for others who were, after all,
volunteers.

There's no magic here.  You give up, and undoutably somebody else will fill
in the gap.  You persist, and you will have a direct say in the evolution
of Ant.  You persist long enough, then you to can be the subject of
countless e-mails commenting on your lack of responsiveness. ;-)

- Sam Ruby