ant-dev mailing list archives

From emount...@amadeus.net
Subject Re: Windows Directory Locking
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2001 09:32:22 GMT

I quite often kill explorer when it gets into a muddle.  No BSOD, just a
nice new desktop that works again when I relaunch it...

In fact, explorer quite often dies all by itself, and just gets respawned,
so you don't usually notice.

:E

From: Bill.J.Fellows@mail.sprint.com  on 01/08/2001 12:44 EST

 To:   ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org

 cc:

 Subje                                    Re: Windows Directory Locking
 ct:

Ask and ye shall receive...
>From Big Brother himself, you can get the free res kit, complete with
kill (kill -f (NT) == kill -9 (*nix))
http://www.microsoft.com/NTWorkstation/downloads/Recommended/Featured/NTKit.asp

Of
course, as Conor mentioned, killing the explorer process is ... not
just a Bad Thing [tm], it's a Very Bad Thing [tm]
IIRC (I'd test it but then this email would die), it kill -f explorer
will merrily destroy that process but I believe that will then lead to
either BSOD or it hanging.

I believe I also saw something about kill on this site
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/utilities.shtml

for the question
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-user&m=99613547126513&w=2 about
rebooting windows through Ant.