ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject RE: Patch Audit
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2001 05:56:02 GMT
Peter,

> > 2. Regexp replace
>
> This is mostly used to replace constants in file. We should
> instead encourage
> people to do a filtered copy + exclude to do this (like ant build file).
> There is probably other legitimate uses though ... can anyone
> think of any?

I know Brendan is working to eliminate unnecessary white space in JSP/HTML
files as part of a deployment. That would be one example of a regexp replace
operation.

> All the other ones that I have already -1 ed or said that I would
> -1 (lowcost
> antcall, foreach, lazy classloading etc) still stand for stated reasons.

OK, I haven't seen those all. For example, I can't see any reply to the
patch on lazy classloading:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-dev&m=99573595724106&w=2
I haven't looked at in detail, myself but if I missed your response, can you
please give me some refs - thanks. I'd just like to record the disposition
of all the outstanding patches.

> However I am really concerned about you wanting to add more functionality
> before a beta release.

Well, I'm not sure when would be a better time to add functionality.
Nevertheless, the purpose of this email was to get these opinions. The list
of "popular" features was not an indication that these were the features I
wished to add to Ant before the beta - merely an observation. There are some
patches which I do feel should be in 1.4. For example, I will be committing
ejbjar bug reports, though. You may -1 anything you feel is not appropriate.

> Most of this stuff while good (dependset,
> configure,
> async exec, input getters, C++ support) is not going to be
> guarenteed to be
> well tested or reliable.

Fair enough. What do you suggest is a reasonable period after a feature is
added before it can be considered a candidate for a release? We have made a
number of changes recently that can be considered new functionality. Are you
suggesting we wait for these to bed down, or should we take a branch for 1.4
from some earlier time?

> If you recall some of the limitations of
> current ant
> resulted from exactly this behaviour (people adding "minor" enhancements
> before a release without knowing full consequences). I think it should be
> bugfixes only before a release.

I don't really recall that. I'm not sure exactly what "limitations" you are
referring to here. Can you give an example? Anyway, the policy I have used
in previous releases is to accept all functionality up to the beta, and then
only bugfixes in the beta period until the beta is considered stable. At
what point, therefore, would you suggest we move into the "bugfixes only"
stage.

In other words, lets state the process we are going to use for deciding when
to include functionality in releases.

Thanks
Conor