ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Zack Grossbart" <z...@silverstream.com>
Subject The EJB-JAR task and the SilverStream server.
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2001 11:04:49 GMT
Hi,

	I was looking at the EJB-JAR task and its sub-tasks, and I had a couple of
questions.  Most of the tasks for the application servers concern themselves
with stub generation and the generation of server specific files, but not
with the actual deployment.  Since most of these application servers deploy
with a "copy these files to this directory" type of procedure I'm assuming
that these tasks are meant to be used in conjunction with the copy task.  Is
this true?

	None of the existing deployers call code outside of Ant, and only the
iPlanet code calls to an external executable.  This must means that the code
for generating deployment information and stubs that I would expect to live
with each of the servers has been replicated in Ant.  Is this the case?

	I am interested in providing support for deploying EJBs to the SilverStream
application server.  The SilverStream deployment is very black box.  It
provides an executable that takes a server name, an EJB Jar, and an XML file
that is a set of server specific information called a deployment plan.  All
of the stub generation and the copying of files is done behind the scenes
within this executable.  This scheme appears to be very different from the
scheme supported by the other application servers.  The SilverStream
deployment scheme is more suitable to the Execute task then the deployment
tasks, I think :).

	Does anybody have any advice about this?  Given the required changes to
support client inter-operability in EJB 2.0, does anybody have any ideas how
this deployment scheme will change?  Are there any plans to support
deploying other types of J2EE modules (application clients, WARs, EARs,
Connectors)?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Zack