ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stephane Bailliez <sbaill...@imediation.com>
Subject RE: AntStructure needs an encoding attribute
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2001 10:27:58 GMT
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ingmar Stein [mailto:stein@xtramind.com]

> <?xml version="1.0"?>

It works if we remove it or specify utf-8, but... I have problems reading
between the lines of the specifications... I think we should forward this to
xerces-dev.

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#charencoding
"Each external parsed entity in an XML document may use a different encoding
for its characters. All XML processors must be able to read entities in both
the UTF-8 and UTF-16 encodings[...]"
"In the absence of external character encoding information (such as MIME
headers), parsed entities which are stored in an encoding other than UTF-8
or UTF-16 must begin with a text declaration (see 4.3.1 The Text
Declaration) containing an encoding declaration[...]"

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#sec-guessing-no-ext-info
"Because each XML entity not accompanied by external encoding information
and not in UTF-8 or UTF-16 encoding must begin with an XML encoding
declaration[...]"

Stephane