ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stephane Bailliez <sbaill...@imediation.com>
Subject FW: [cciug] RE: Switching over to Ant
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2001 16:29:31 GMT

This is from rational clearcase mailing list. it was forwarded to me by my
clearcase admin. Thought it might be from interest.

---------
From: Franz, Paul

Here is my experience with Ant at my company:

1) It is a great tool for developers, not the best for creating
complex deployments. I have a set of Perl scripts and a makefile that does
creates the daily builds. These builds are used by the developers to speed
up their work and also used to create the directory structure that will be
put on the CDs that will ship to the customers. (Note: By using Cygwin I am
able to make sure that the build script can be used in both under NT and
Solaris)

2) In Ant create a set of tasks in the build.xml that are the tasks
that the developers need to do. Here the Ant-based environment is pretty
simple. The tasks that are part of the current Ant-based enviroment are
codegen (we have a process to generate EJBs and the like), compile and
deploy_bean (runs ejbc possibly for multiple beans). This makes it easy on
the developers and I keep the "old" way of building the daily build using
the makefile and Perl Scripts. The reason I have for the separation is that
developers do not create the deployments that get sent out to the customers
therefore alot of the functionality that can be done in the makefile-based
environment is not needed. One thing to keep in mind about Ant is that the
dependency checking is pretty rudimentary (if you have not successfully
compiled the source code). I have my daily build Perl Scripts analyze the
source code and add dependencies based on the imports. (Note: To do create
the Ant-based environment that is currently used. I had to create 13 new
task definitions. Since some of the things I needed to do, like string
manipulation, are not part of the core/optional tasks included with the Ant
download)

Paul Franz