ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stephane Bailliez <sbaill...@imediation.com>
Subject RE: update the Junit Report task
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2001 17:48:30 GMT

Oh that's simply by extension. Like patterns obviously using these words
make them more understandable than a french equivalent that could come years
later
There are extensions like bugfixer (bugfix), fixer (fix), patcher (patch).

Some weird authors had the stupid idea to translate the book Design Patterns
and naming the patterns in French. That makes it completely useless !

Anyway, documentation is in english, books are in english and take years to
be translated in other languages (for obvious reasons, the market is not
worth it), so this is just influence. I'm sure you won't be lost in our R&D,
especially since we are lot of different nationalities in the company.
I prefer working in english and read books in english, it's more
understandable to me.

I'm also totally against locale coding guidelines. Code must be in plain
english.
I'm totally lost in a french code it's so weird having french variables with
english named api..plsu french names as i said french names are not
representative. Plus you never know what you'll be doing w/ your code and
who will work on it later especially in these international days.

When I was working in an IT company 2 years ago I was sent to a well known
french company in the defense industry. It was a disaster..I will not talk
about the code itself that was more than plain crap done by a 2yo child, but
just to give you an idea a guy did not have more things to do than wrap the
whole WIN32 API with french named functions...and adding some 'additional'
error check...that more than often were incorrect because he did not read
the docs. And this was used all over the place.

A real disaster in the code..imagine yourself reading creerEvenement(..) for
createEvent(..), creerTube() for createPipe(..) WOW !

> "je bugfixai" - I will fix that big but not in the immediate future

Je fixerai

> "je bugfixais, mais" - I would have fixed that bug, but...

je fixerai bien, mais...

> "tu! bigfixas!" - you! fix that bug.

Toi ! Fixes moi ce bug !

> "il est deja bugfixée" -its already fixed.

C'est deja fixé

> I am going to have hours of fun now,

:-)

--