ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Craeg K. Strong" <cstr...@arielpartners.com>
Subject SAX/XMLParser Questions
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2001 18:33:24 GMT
Has anyone noticed while compiling the ant source files (with a SAX2
parser in
your classpath) the large number of deprecated SAX1 methods in use?

Has anyone tried to add support for XML Catalogs to their local version
of Ant?
[Catalogs provide support for entity resolution so for example your XML
editor can always find your DTD files whether you are on or off-line--
see
http://www.arbortext.com/Think_Tank/XML_Resources/Issue_Three/issue_three.html
]

These two issues have prompted me to ask about the future plans for SAX2
and JAXP support in ant.

Today, ant requires a JAXP-compatible SAX parser in order to run (see
line 438, Main.java).

Is there a significant reason to maintain backwards compatibility for
SAX1 in light of the above?

I.e., what is more likely, that someone is going to write a JAXP adaptor
to their SAX1-only XML parser
or that they are simply going to upgrade to a new SAX2-compliant and
JAXP-compliant parser?

Put another way, when do you think would be an appropriate time to start
patching the ant
source to use newer/non-deprecated SAX2 APIs?

Would anyone have an objection to upgrading
taskdefs/optional/XMLValidateTask.java to use JAXP?

What about adding support for optionally registering XML Catalogs for
entity resolution?

Thoughts, anyone?

--Craeg