ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Craeg K. Strong" <cstr...@arielpartners.com>
Subject Re: <ant> task
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2001 17:48:18 GMT
Stephane Bailliez wrote:

>I need some explanation about <ant> task and the recent introduction of
>inheritall.

According to the manual page for the <ant> task and the source code: the
only way to override the basedir
for the new project is to specify "dir" as a parameter in the call (in
the parent buildfile),
regardless of the setting of "inheritAll."

If the "dir" parameter is not set, the basedir of the child is always
the same as the basedir of the parent
(again, regardless of the setting of "inheritAll").

One could argue that the behavior with respect to the basedir of the new
project _should_
differ based on the setting of "inheritAll."   For example:

- "dir" parameter in <ant> call always overrides (always wins)
regardless of "inheritAll" setting

- if "dir" parameter not set, inheritAll = yes, basedir of child is set
to basedir of parent.

- if "dir" parameter not set, inheritAll = no, basedir of child is as
specified in child buildfile.

I think the above is a reasonable interpretation, although it is not
what is implemented today.

Thoughts?

--Craeg