ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Craeg K. Strong" <cstr...@arielpartners.com>
Subject Re: Patch Audit
Date Sun, 05 Aug 2001 20:44:54 GMT
Stephane Bailliez wrote:

>Description
>I don't think it is important and maybe it's me but I don't see the
>motivation, there's already a description attribute in the target.

<lobby>
Probably just needs a  better title.  The problem being addressed is the
lack of project-wide
documentation.  When you have a directory full of 50 buildfiles, many of
which are called from
others, it becomes quite difficult to remember what they all DO :-)

This is the description for the _project_  not for any particular
_target_ in a project.  All 50 of my
buildfiles may have a "compile" target, but that doesn't help me very
much to achieve a quick
understanding at the 50,000 foot level...

There were two approaches discussed, 1) adding a description attribute
to the project and 2) adding
a <description> element.  I originally coded up #1 (don't remember if I
submitted it), but Stefan and others
felt that the element was more appropriate.

The need is real!   I personally don't really care as much exactly _how_
it is implemented.  But I feel a
project-wide description capability is a big win for 1.4!
</lobby>

"Dependset" and "Multiple targets in Merging Mapper" are both useful and
ready to go.
Of the two, I believe dependset is more important to get in for 1.4

Thanks!

--Craeg

PS  Thanks for being so thorough--great job, guys!