ant-dev mailing list archives

From Matthew Inger <ma...@sedonacorp.com>
Subject Re: Reminder: [SUBMIT] Attr, a chmod equivalent for Windows
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2001 17:09:35 GMT
Martin van den Bemt wrote:

>What he means is what does attrib do on a linux box?
>It should only excecute on a windows box and on no other OS. (unless
>supported).
>The goal is (as much as possible) to keep buildfiles platform independend
>and OS specific implementations should (at least I think that's what is
>happening now) ignored.
>
>Mvgr,
>Martin

it seems to me like attrib is not the equivalent of chmod, nor could any
program
on windows be the equivalent.

for one, attrib has no notions of users or groups, or execute permissions.
plus the windows permission scheme is so different than unix that any
nt command would have much more complex arguments than chmod,
since you can do per-user, per-group, and global permissions. instead of
just
owner, owning group,and global.

--
Matt Inger (matt.inger@sedonacorp.com)