ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Craeg K. Strong" <cstr...@arielpartners.com>
Subject Re: [SUBMIT] New <dependset> task, a task to manage arbitrary dependencies between files
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2001 01:57:52 GMT

>Let's take a silly example - my <style> (using redirect extensions or
>something) generates two .html files - the name of one of them will be
>passed in as a parameter, something like

>       out="output1.html"
>       style="style-with-redirect.xsl">
>  <param name="other-file"
>         value="${a-property-only-known-at-build-time}" />

<snip/>

>- maybe output1.html contains a
>link to the second file?  If any target file is out of date with
>respect to a given source, chances are high that all of them are IMHO.

I liked your example-- point taken.  I will modify the code and docs to
delete ALL targetfiles
if ANY are out of date.

>But I see your point of using a fileset for target files as well,
>there are situations where you don't know all the names of the target
>files or it would be cumbersome to list them.
>
>Maybe we'd need a targetfileset and a targetfilelist or similar, where
>a missing file from the targetfilelist would be treated the same way
>as an out-of-date target file?

I see your point here as well.  If someone has gone to all the trouble
to explicitly name target files as in

<targetfiles dir="mumble" includes="foo.html,bar.html,baz.html"/>

rather than simply

<targetfiles dir="mumble" includes="*.html"/>

Then if one of them does not exist, ALL should be removed in the
interest of correctness.  I will try
to make a special note of this intricacy somehow in the docs...

>>A real issue is what to do when one or more SOURCES (not targets)
>>doesn't exist?  In the example above, that would mean that a
>>buildfile does not exist.  This is not so preposterous when you
>>realize that I might be generating my buildfile using XSLT or
>>whatnot.
>>
>Then place the dependset task after the one that generates the build
>file?

Yes in general I think you are right-- you would place the call to
<dependset> in logical order
-after- the rule that generates the buildfile or common XSLT include or
etc...  but see below.

>>Other times you might want this situation to be interpreted as if
>>the target files are NOT out of date.  For example, you might have a
>>boilerplate <dependset> rule that includes "*.dtd".  But one of your
>>projects does not yet happen to have any DTD files.  Setting
>>ignore=true means that this will not result in any target files
>>being removed.
>>
>Searching for sources that have an out-of-date target instead of
>targets that are out of date would eliminate this problem, you
>wouldn't even consider the *.dtd part.

I don't understand your argument here.  If <srcfiles> specifies "*.dtd"
and there aren't any dtd files,
I wouldn't consider it either way.  The problem arises when <srcfiles>
specifies an _explicit_
file like "foo.dtd" but "foo.dtd" does not exist.  (I should have used
that for my earlier example...)

I still think that you may want to give the buildfile writer a choice in
how to handle this situation.
n'est-ce pas?

--Craeg