ant-dev mailing list archives

From Edwin Goei <edwi...@sun.com>
Subject Re: JAXP/Crimson timeplan
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2001 18:05:54 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Edwin Goei <edwingo@sun.com> wrote:
>
> > The JAXP RI (Reference Implementation) is open sourced much like the
> > way the servlet RI is so the most up-to-date source code is at
> > apache.
>
> Does that include the javax.xml classes itself?

That's a good question.  I believe upper management has lots of other
things to worry about so this issue gets very low priority.  These
classes are like the servlet API.  No one would benefit from keeping the
source code private because it would cause multiple implementations of
the same APIs and the inevitable incompatibilities because of
differences between implementations, not to mention unnecessary
duplication of work.  The reason for developing JAXP was to make it
easier to use XML and Java together and thus promote the use of Java
instead of creating a product that other companies would license.

> >> Conor suggested, that we don't talk about the reference
> >> implementation of JAXP at all in our distribution, but state that
> >> we'd include Apache Crimson 1.1.1 and the jaxp.jar contained in
> >> Crimson's distribution - that way we'd push licensing problems (if
> >> any) to the Crimson distribution only.
> >
> > Sure, good idea.
>
> So lets follow that path, let's take whatever is the latest released
> version of crimson and the jaxp.jar that is included in this crimson's
> distribution.

Actually, Costin requested the latest JAXP crimson code for Tomcat so I
will be creating a new distribution.  I'd recommend using that version
of crimson.

-Edwin