ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Rafal Mantiuk" <Rafal.Mant...@bellstream.pl>
Subject Re: JFlex task - license question
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2001 09:17:28 GMT
On 01-08-06 at 16:15 Peter Donald wrote:
>On Mon,  6 Aug 2001 16:05, Conor MacNeill wrote:
>> Rafal,
>>
>> Due to the GPL licence of JFlex, there may be difficulty in having such a
>> task in Ant's CVS tree. IANAL, etc, etc. Perhaps you should ask JFlex if
>> they wish to have the task there (I don't know if the licence conflicts
>are
>> a problem in that arrangement). Licensing experts ??
>
>If it is GPL you can not link it against Apache code period. However you
>could write a "task" which does not import any apache code but does
>implement
>execute().

Writing a task that does not import ANY Ant code is not as easy as I thought. I can easily
cope with execute() method, but removing all BuilException(s) makes the code really nasty.

Is it really against Apache Software License to import Ant code (to refer, not to include)
in GPL code ???
If it is so, can "jflex" task be distributed separately from Ant and JFlex under possibly
another license (public domain - no restrictions) ?

Rafal