ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Magesh Umasankar" <umag...@rediffmail.com>
Subject Re: Patch Audit
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2001 20:27:44 GMT
------------- Original Message --------------
Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:
To:ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org
From:Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org>
Date:06 Aug 2001 09:36:00 +0200
Subject:Re: Patch Audit

>* test skeleton generator

>I have some problems with the motivation, as you write
>tests first,don't you?  OK, not before the release.

Use it to 'catch' those that don't do it that way then ;-).  Tests can be generated to fail
by default and when they do, it will show that not all in the team is using 'Write Unit Tests
first' approach.

Though the 'Write Unit Tests First Programming' and XP are gaining some popularity, they are
still not being widely followed.  If one can at least ensure that there are Unit Tests for
whatever code has been designed/implemented, it would definitely improve the quality of the
existing product as well as its future versions, n'est-ce pas?

This Ant task would address such a use case (at least till the skeleton building level).
For example, http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-avalon/src/test/org/apache/avalon/excalibur/io/test/
does not seem to have any test cases, but definitely could use some and I guess is definitely
in the works (as the directory is already there).  It would make the job of a 'Unit Test Writer'
so much simpler, if the skeletons could be generated.  (Avalon isn't using JUnit.  That is
another topic, but I am just trying to show the usefulness of a skeleton generator).

Also, I looked at the following links.  They revolve around Test Skeleton Generators.  Seems
JUnit.org is not averse to the idea of using the framework to write Unit Tests after the code
has been written.

http://junit.netbeans.org/
http://www.junit.org/extensions.htm#JunitTestGenerator

So, please consider including this task into Ant.

Cheers,
Magesh

For Rs. 2,000,000 worth of Aptech scholarships click below
http://clients.rediff.com/clients/aptechsch/index.htm