ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Problem with the new ZIP classes
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2001 06:59:37 GMT
A few days ago a co-worker (they are forced to use CVS Ant 8-) had a
problem when he added a file whose name contained german umlauts to a
jar file using Ant's jar task.

While Winzip and InfoZip don't have any problems with the file, you
couldn't use the jar file from Java as
obviously expects filenames to be UTF-8 encoded - something neither
Winzip nor InfoZip do BTW.  The documentation I've used for reference
(appnotes.iz from the InfoZip distribution) doesn't talk about
filename encoding at all.

The new classes in the package don't specify a
specific encoding, which means the filenames will be encoded according
to the local platforms default encoding (again, this is what InfoZip
does as well) - this in turn makes the filenames illegal UTF-8 Strings
and Java will not load the jar file.

What I want to do now, is to add an optional charencoding attribute to
<zip> and friends that will default to the platform's default encoding

Does anybody see any problems with this approach?

View raw message