ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: TaskContainer and logging
Date Fri, 27 Jul 2001 07:12:35 GMT
On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Conor MacNeill <conor@cortexebusiness.com.au>
wrote:

> First question I have is whether we could just flatten the tasks
> within the Target and report them that way. The task relationships
> within the target could potentially be ignored for logging. That
> would mean we don't need to care about the parent relationship.

Yes and no - it is possible to have multiple open targets with ant or
antcall inside <parallel>, but the logic here could be rewritten.

We would lose structural information with that approach, of course.
I've got no real opinion here.

> In any case, the taskElement and taskStartTime needs to be changed
> from a single variable into a Map.

Yes, same for targets.

> We probably need to sort on task start time in the targetFinished
> method.

Yes.

> Other than that we may need to add the parent reference (A
> TaskContainer). I can't see any harm, even if it just to support
> logging. It may make OwningTarget redundant.

This is the major problem - it does make the OwningTarget redundant,
but we cannot remove it savely (that backwards compatibility stuff).

The harm I see is API bloat combined with more backwards compatibility
issues in the future.

> So, we are going to have put some sort of warning about that in
> WHATSNEW file.

Yes - we may need a new section for this, as it is no real backwards
compatibility problem (you will only notice the problem when you use
the new features, especially the parallel task).

Stefan