ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Patch] Target attribute property expansion
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2001 08:24:51 GMT
On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Peter Donald <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:

> I actually think that we should do lazy evaluation of the DAG. ie
> only look up next element in DAG as we "get" to it.

Could you please explain how this should work?  I'm not sure I know
what you mean by "look up" and "get to" in this context.

> This is for two reasons mainly;

You mention three 8-)

> 1. Support crazy self-modifying projects like Jose wanted

He did?

> 2. Not force the loading of all project files at startup

If we allow targets in the main file to depend on targets in other
files, we'll have to load and parse this other file anyway, don't we?

> 3. Cutdown on redundent scanning at start that is not needed and
> costly in large projects

Scanning for what?  If you are talking about not searching for cycles
in the dependency graph that we are never going to touch, that is fine
with me.

Stefan