ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Introduction of Multithreading
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2001 14:13:54 GMT
Tackling the thread from its last message ...

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Peter Donald <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 10:15, Conor MacNeill wrote:
>> > From: Peter Donald [mailto:donaldp@apache.org]

>> > Two I can not see the need for sequential at all as similar
>> > functionality exists with antcall
>>
>> Using <sequential> within a <parallel> block is simple and
>> effective. Using antcall to achieve the same thing would be
>> heavyweight and unnecessarily complex.
>
> Breaking a target into three targets (with if attributes) instead of
> having a single if task is unnecessarily complex - but we still do
> it ;)

You cannot completely compare them, as breaking a conditional task
into three targets may be unnecessarily complex, but it is not
heavyweight - oppose that with current antcall.

As long as antcall is not the lightweight operation we expect it to
become in Ant2, there is room for <sequential> IMHO.

> I just think we should stick to existing patterns instead of
> introducing more variability.

Agreed, but ... see above.

> From the design of listener interface I expect event logs to behave
> like they do in SAX. ie a tasks output occurs between start and end
> task events. And I have written loggers accordingly. If you use the
> information internal to each BuildEvent however it should be
> fine.

OK, so it is a documentation issue, as well as a question of adapting
the listeners that ship with Ant, right?

> Ouch - theres the rub - Also a great place to have a child
> logger/category ;)

A great place to have hierarchical TaskContexts 8-)

Stefan