ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New launcher
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2001 14:35:33 GMT
On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Conor MacNeill <conor@cortexebusiness.com.au>
wrote:

> A similar script for Unix should be obvious.

I've attached mine.

> I haven't tested on Linux yet.

Tested with the following JDKs Blackdown's 1.1.8, Sun's 1.2.2 and
1.4beta-b65 and IBM's 1.3.  I've run the test target of Ant's own
build file.

With jaxp 1.1 and crimson in /tmp/ant_home/lib and a clean environment
- no CLASSPATH, no JAVA_HOME, no ANT_HOME):

JDK 1.1 fails, but fails for plain Ant as well, in JUnitTestRunnerTest
(will have to look into this separately) - works fine for ZipTest.

JDKs 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4 work.

I noticed that the version using Launcher seems to be incredibly slow
- 53 seconds compared to 24 for plain Ant when running ZipTest in
JDK 1.1, full testsuite 82 seconds compared to 46 where
ExecuteWatchdogTest accounts for about 20 seconds in JDK 1.2, other
figures are similar (with JDK 1.4 being the slowest by far).

Removing the xml libs as well as JUnit from the lib dir and putting
them into the CLASSPATH (with my patch applied):

    [junit] Testsuite: org.apache.tools.ant.ZipTest
    [junit] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Time elapsed: 0 sec
    [junit]
    [junit] 	Caused an ERROR
    [junit] org.apache.tools.ant.ZipTest
    [junit] java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.tools.ant.ZipTest
    [junit] 	at org.apache.tools.ant.AntClassLoader.findClassInComponents(AntClassLoader.java,
Compiled Code)

or whatever testcase I try - seems it doesn't use the user specified
classpath any longer.  I'll dig a little deeper.

Stefan

PS: Any idea why I need to bootstrap Ant whenever I change
AntClassLoader?  Otherwise I'll get

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.VerifyError: (class: org/apache/tools/ant/AntClassLoader,
method: findClassInComponents signature: (Ljava/lang/String;)Ljava/lang/Class;) Accessing
value from uninitialized register 7
	at org.apache.tools.ant.Launcher.main(Launcher.java, Compiled Code)

or

java.lang.VerifyError: (class: org/apache/tools/ant/AntClassLoader, method: findClassInComponents
signature: (Ljava/lang/String;)Ljava/lang/Class;) Accessing value from uninitialized localvariable
7
	at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Available.execute(Available.java:148)