ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Unifying property and reference namespaces
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2001 14:24:17 GMT
On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Conor MacNeill <conor@cortexebusiness.com.au>
wrote:

> However, I think this issue needs more thought since the patch, as
> presented, would mean that filters and references are overridable
> whilst properties are not.

Which we probably need for backwards compatibilty anyway - I wouldn't
be surprised to see a <path> named classpath both in a master and a
subproject build file.

> A better approach would be to unify the property, filter and
> reference namespaces now.

This will off course break backwards compatibilty at several levels.

> We know this will be the case for Ant2, and it would solve many
> problems in this area too.

Agreed.

> The overriding behaviour could be common, and a single nested
> element could pass any sort of datatype to the called <ant>.

Is this an approach to unify them into a single <property> (or
whatever) thing outside of <ant> as well?

> The downside would be backward compatibility issues. I'm not sure
> how great they would be.

I'm not sure either, but I'm afraid it would affect quite a few
builds.

Stefan