ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JAXP/Crimson timeplan
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2001 06:14:52 GMT
Hi Edwin,

thanks for your quick feedback.

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Edwin Goei <edwingo@sun.com> wrote:

> Stephane Bailliez wrote:
>
>> I guess there is no problem for crimson 1.1.1, but Stefan was
>> wondering if there was any problem in distributing jaxp.jar binary
>> ?
>
> I would just go do it.  After all, previous versions had the same
> kind of code in it and it was allowed.

But previous versions included the latest released JAXP code, while I
cannot find any mention of a bugfix release in the XML section of
java.sun.com - this is where I see room for legal problems, i.e. can
we ship an unofficial version of the JAXP classes with Ant?

> In my opinion, restricting distribution would be a bad thing for Sun
> so I can't see why they would ever want to do so.

Sun restricts distribution of beta- and pre-releases, just look at the
licenses for the early access downloads in the JDC.  And Sun does so
for very good reasons IMHO - everything else would be a maintenance
nightmare.

> But getting an official answer from legal would be time consuming
> and possibly open up a can of worms.

Sure.

Conor suggested, that we don't talk about the reference implementation
of JAXP at all in our distribution, but state that we'd include Apache
Crimson 1.1.1 and the jaxp.jar contained in Crimson's distribution -
that way we'd push licensing problems (if any) to the Crimson
distribution only.

>> Additionaly Costin said we'd better wait about a week or so to have
>> a more stable code.
>
> The crimson parser itself is pretty stable.  Version 1.1.1 went into
> J2EE 1.3 and I just integrated a newer version into JDK 1.4 beta2.
> Costin may be thinking about the XSLT processing parts of JAXP which
> uses Xalan-j.  We recently updated the code so that it uses the
> Xalan DTM code for performance fixes and maintenance.

We don't really use the transformation part of JAXP (except for the
probably stick with Crimson 1.1.1 and that's it.

I don't really want to ship any unreleased code in a release of Ant.
I'd even prefer to state that we included the latest released code,
but know that there are bugs - and tell people where they could find
fixes for them.

Thanks

        Stefan