ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Patch] Target attribute property expansion
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2001 10:30:44 GMT
Thanks for your explanation, yes, what you propose should work.  One
problem we'd need to consider though: If we'd allow arbitrary task to
live outside of targets and execute them before we examine the
dependencies - these tasks would even be executed in a completely
invalid build process.

On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Peter Donald <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu,  5 Jul 2001 18:24, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>> On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Peter Donald <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> > This is for two reasons mainly;
>>
>> You mention three 8-)
>
> so I failed preschool maths ;)

No, my interpretation: if it is for two reasons _mainly_ and you state
three, one of them has to be less important 8-) I guess I know which
one is not part of "mainly".

>> > 1. Support crazy self-modifying projects like Jose wanted
>>
>> He did?
>
> his projectref ideas.

Never looked like self-modifying projects to me.

>> > 2. Not force the loading of all project files at startup
>>
>> If we allow targets in the main file to depend on targets in other
>> files, we'll have to load and parse this other file anyway, don't
>> we?
>
> nope - not if they are never executed.

Yes, OK.  If we don't care for targets we never reach, there is no
reason to load that file unless we need it.  Fine with me.

Stefan