ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PATCH: taskdefs and class loaders
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2001 06:27:51 GMT
On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, <cmanolache@yahoo.com> wrote:

First things first:

> I'm not sure what's my status, I used to have commit access on
> ant

You still have.  The list of Ant committers is quite long - maybe we
should ask all people to consider whether they want to give up their
access?

> One big problem with taskdef is that each task is created in a
> separate class loader. This patch solves this by keeping caching the
> classloader by the refid.

As Conor is playing with the classloader quite a bit, I'm hesitant to
put your patch in right now - at least not all of it.  I'd like to see
the classloader stuff to be resolved first.

> It also allows to define multiple tasks from a properties file ( the
> same as native ant tasks are defined, or <property> reads
> properties).

Sounds good.

> Strangely, I'm listed as author on this file

We don't remove @author tags, even if a class has been rewritten
several times.  How are you dealing with similar situations in Tomcat?

> Why do we need a separate loader if no cpath is specified ??

As a fix for a feature of certain VMs:  Some VMs (I think >= JDK 1.3)
have a system classloader that consults the CLASSPATH at start time
and drops all entries that do not exist.  If you have a directory on
your classpath that doesn't exist and create that directory during the
build process, you cannot load classes from this directory via the
system classloader.

Stefan