ant-dev mailing list archives

From <>
Subject RE: JAXP/Crimson timeplan
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2001 18:28:24 GMT
On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Stephane Bailliez wrote:

> > The crimson parser itself is pretty stable.  Version 1.1.1 went into
> > J2EE 1.3 and I just integrated a newer version into JDK 1.4 beta2.
> > Costin may be thinking about the XSLT processing parts of JAXP which
> > uses Xalan-j.  We recently updated the code so that it uses the Xalan
> > DTM code for performance fixes and maintenance.
> Xalan DTM code is not yet stable from what I can see so we'll do without
> this one and go with crimson 1.1.1 binaries. As Stefan said, at least this
> is released code. I don't like release that are made w/ dev. binaries and

There are few problems with including jaxp.jar but not including

The big one is that if the user is using build.xml to define the
classpaths ( instead of setting CLASSPATH in a shell ), xalan will not
load ( since jaxp.jar will be in the parent loader, xalan.jar in a child).

One solution ( that may also solve other similar problems) is to set the
context class loader before executing tasks ( using a different loader).
That requires JDK1.2, but there are workarounds ( either introspection or
something like tomcat.util.compat ).

Or explaining that the user must put xalan.jar in either classpath or
ant/lib if it wants to use it. ( same is true for jndi, but there are not
too many tasks using jndi ).

Another small problem is that jaxp is "parser + transform". Including half
of jaxp is not necesarily the best thing.

The current DTM ( D8 ) is passing the tests and seems stable, we hope to
have a release soon. Of course, the previous stable release is ok too.
You can also include jaxp.jar from xml-commons, which is build from apache
sources ( that's what tc3.3 and xalan will be doing ).

View raw message