ant-dev mailing list archives

From <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: PATCH: taskdefs and class loaders
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:08:06 GMT
On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Peter Donald wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jul 2001 17:17, cmanolache@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Any half of the patch would help ( if I can load a group of tasks with the
> > same loader I can resolve my problem ), but I think it's nice to use a
> > single class loader for a certain classpath ( at lest for taskdefs ).
>
> I am curious what you are using this for. Is it to keep state across task
> invocations or something else ?

Not only. To keep state across tasks you can use "properties" ( since the
Hashtable is returned, you can store any object in it - if you want to ).

I have a set of "cooperating tasks" - one is sending a http request,
few other are manipulating the response, another one is reporting
results. Doing it all in a single task is ugly.

The problem is each task is in a different loader ( unless I put them in
CLASSPATH - and I hate that ), and they can't use information from each
other ( only "system" types can be saved ).

I also prefer to use the task adapter and not extend Task directly ( or
use internal ant APIs, only the patterns ).

> > BTW, what's the policy for "optional" tasks ?
>
> I am not sure we have a policy. What do you want to do ? ;)

Can any commiter add a new optional task ? Is there a proposal/vote ( and
maybe a template for the proposal ) ?

Costin