ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: sun.tools.javac.Main will be removed from JDK1.4
Date Fri, 20 Jul 2001 17:53:56 GMT
There are some pretty intense discussions going on about this, and the
story hasn't yet been finished ...

On the other hand, the "new" compiler entry point has an absolutely
horrible feature (from the point of view of Jasper) -- you have to modify
System.out and System.err to redirect the compiler output.  Unless system
variables are unique per classloader (they weren't last time I checked),
that means we can only do one compile at a time :-(.

An additional note of interest to Ant developers - there is evidence that
running the compiler (either old or new) leaves a fair amount of cruft
lying around in static variables, after the compile has completed. The
recommended solution is to load the compiler itself in its own class
loader, so that you can throw it all away afterwards.  That's the approach
we'll take when modifying Jasper.

Craig