ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: sun.tools.javac.Main will be removed from JDK1.4
Date Sat, 21 Jul 2001 00:18:53 GMT
Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> > Would there be a value in a commons-javac?  Several Apache projects seem to
> > have need for this function...
>
> That would be an interesting approach, but also a non-trivial amount of
> work.  Any compiler hackers out there?

I guess I wasn't clear.

It seems that more than one Apache project has a need to wrapper java
compilers (classic, modern, jikes).  It also seems that the amount of logic
for dealing with the ideosyncracies with the various releases (1.2 only has
classic, 1.3 has both, 1.4 may only have modern) continues to grow,
particularly if now a classloader is recommended...

Perhaps we could come up with a single set of common code which can be used
by multiple projects?

My only concern is the additional effort which will be required to
bootstrap Ant, but I'm confident that's solvable.

- Sam Ruby