ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stephane Bailliez <>
Subject RE: JAXP/Crimson timeplan
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2001 06:55:40 GMT
Hi Edwin,

Many thanks for your quick feedback !!

> I would just go do it.  After all, previous versions had the same kind
> of code in it and it was allowed.  In my opinion, restricting
> distribution would be a bad thing for Sun so I can't see why
> they would ever want to do so.  But getting an official answer from
> legal would be time consuming and possibly open up a can of worms.

> The crimson parser itself is pretty stable.  Version 1.1.1 went into
> J2EE 1.3 and I just integrated a newer version into JDK 1.4 beta2.
> Costin may be thinking about the XSLT processing parts of JAXP which
> uses Xalan-j.  We recently updated the code so that it uses the Xalan
> DTM code for performance fixes and maintenance.

Xalan DTM code is not yet stable from what I can see so we'll do without
this one and go with crimson 1.1.1 binaries. As Stefan said, at least this
is released code. I don't like release that are made w/ dev. binaries and
that don't even have the sources available so you can't even figure out from
what sources the snapshot was taken. It is a nightmare to debug as a user
and we'll shoot ourselves in the foot w/ that in maintenance.

Thanks again !

 Stephane Bailliez
 Software Engineer, Paris - France
 iMediation -