ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Vogel <pvo...@arsin.com>
Subject RE: PATCH: Attributes of Target can reference properties
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2001 21:53:26 GMT
Actually, he had some very cogent points about the evolution of
ant that took place since he was subsumed by TomCat work, after
bumping heads against Peter D. several times, making the point that
the evolutionary direction that Peter D. was advocating was "not ant".

When he was told that his absence from the ant community for N months
effectively removed his rights as a voting member of the ant community,
and that he would need to "earn" the right to commit and vote, he was
rightly insulted and gave up.  I personally don't blame him.

Now, since then, Ant has made a couple of excellent strides, some largely
due to you, Diane, in that the documentation has improved dramatically and
a number of inconsistencies have been cleaned up (sadly, not some of the
worst
ones, like the fact that a path cannot be declared that uses properties
defined in a target because a path cannot be declared within a target).

The situation I see now is a sad one: you have essentially one overbearing
member of the committer community who chooses to enforce his peculiar vision
of where ant should head by using his -1 veto power as a committer while
his own contributions to ant amount primarily to a minor subproject and have
little or nothing to do with the core of ant.  He rarely misses an
opportunity
to turn reasoned debate into flame on this list.  Sadly, I haven't learned
ignore the bait yet -- but I'm working on it.  I'm normally a very
reasonable
guy :-)

-Peter