ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Vogel <pvo...@arsin.com>
Subject RE: PATCH: Attributes of Target can reference properties
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2001 08:23:11 GMT
There are times this is *appropriate* and correct in a build system.

Peter D -- I'm just curious, how much build infrastructure architecting
           have you done in your career?  Did you just have a seriously
           bad gnumake trip instigated by someone (ab)using make without
	     knowing what they were doing?

I mean, even in my current contract, where the system to be built is
pretty small, (50K lines of Java, but very young) but highly partitioned
into several groups of responsibility, I've needed to patch ant for this
sort of feature and hack around the lack of a foreach and an if.  (I also
worked with our deployment guy to implement a series of tasks to facilitate
the production of Solaris packages which could probably be extended to build
other forms of package, i.e. RPM).

-Peter