ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Craeg K. Strong" <cstr...@arielpartners.com>
Subject Re: [SUBMIT] New <dependset> task, a task to manage arbitrary dependencies between files
Date Fri, 20 Jul 2001 20:27:25 GMT

>>[snip]
>>The dependset task compares a set of source files with a set of target
>>files. If any of the source files is more recent than any of the target
>>files, all of the target files are removed. [snip]
>>

>I think this would be cool--at least I've had the mentioned problem with
><uptodate>, another which runs the first and then deletes the target file(s)
>if the first reported it was not up-to-date, and then the real target which
>runs both of the preceding before running <style>. Simplifying the idiom here
>would be nice.
>
>-Jesse

Exactly so!     But-- there are other cases that would affect many more
Ant users.  For example,

1) what happens when you change the ant build file?   Absolute
correctness demands that a change to the
buildfile forces a complete rebuild.  Of course it would be nice to know
whether that change actually
affects the build in question (or if it is simply a doc change or other
innocuous).  However, it is better to be
safe than sorry.

2) What about large property files?     <property
file="lots-of-global-properties.properties"/>
If this file changes, we would probably like to force a complete rebuild
as well.  See arguments above.

By judicious use of both the <dependset> task as well as the existing
<uptodate> and <depend> tasks,
I feel we now can optimally handle all of these types of issues....

--Craeg