ant-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew May <a...@ingenta.com>
Subject [Proposal] Extend optional PVCS tasks
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2001 15:52:28 GMT
Hi,

Having used the optional Pvcs task to perform a large GET from our PVCS
repository on Unix, and found it a lot faster than using the Windows GUI
(unsurprisingly), I'm interested in extending the tasks to include
versioning (currently very slow for us using the GUI, and a bit error
prone), and possibly using promotion groups.

Not having developed for Ant before, and not being that familiar with
the coding conventions used I could use some advice in how to proceed.

In all these cases we're dealing with the bulk of our repository (the
parts that are part of the application, not requirement docs etc.), and
so the mechanism used currently for the GET where a list of files is
generated using the PVCS pcli command and then processed using
"<command> @tmpfile" is appropriate. We're not really interested in
using it to checkout/in individual files because we've got the GUI.
However, I appreciate that others may want to add tasks for these things.

I had a few thoughts on how to structure this:

1) Extend the existing Pvcs task to have a "command" argument, which
could be "Get", "Version", "Promote" etc. This would make it a bit like
the CVS task, but has the problem that some arguments would not make
sense for a particular command. It also might get a bit messy!

2) Create PvcsGet, PvcsVersion, PvcsPromote tasks and deprecate Pvcs
task. Split out the common functionality which is mostly in getting the
list of files from the repository using the plci command (Pcli.java?),
and then just have the appropriate arguments for each task (although a
lot of these would be common).

3) Keep the Pvcs task with the common arguments and have nested elements
for the different commands. This would probably be more difficult to
write :), and in reality it would be a bit like 2) with the Pvcs task
doing the list of files and the command elements (with a PvcsCommand
interface or something) doing the get/version/promote. I'm concerned
that the structure of the tags would be reflecting the underlying PVCS
commands, and also that this might not support tasks for individual
files very well.

Personally I favour 2).

I would also like to incorporate any fixes/improvements suggested to
what's already there, and add more arguments to support more of the
command line options (like quiet output).

Thanks in advance,

Andrew