ant-dev mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: PATCH: Attributes of Target can reference properties
Date Wed, 04 Jul 2001 00:34:44 GMT
--- Peter  Vogel <pvogel@arsin.com> wrote:
> When he was told that his absence from the ant community for N months
> effectively removed his rights as a voting member of the ant community,
> and that he would need to "earn" the right to commit and vote, he was
> rightly insulted and gave up.

Hmm... I certainly don't want to get into a long debate about this, but I
don't think that description reflects what I remember. As I recall it, he
was told that his one -- still valid, not needing to be "earned" back --
vote wasn't some mega-vote that would count for any more than what it was:
one vote.

> I personally don't blame him.

I don't know that I "blame him", either -- if someone feels it's time to
go, that's their choice, and of course they're free to do just that. On
the other hand, I have a hard time seeing his decision as amounting to
much more than saying "If you aren't going to play the game that I, and I
alone, want us to play, then I'm taking my ball and going home."  I saw
very little willingness on his part to allow for any kind of compromise,
and very much in the way of wanting to be the sole voice in what direction
the next-generation Ant should go. I believe he may have even said as
much, claiming that the original author should have that absolute voice by
right. Other people didn't see it quite that way, and I count myself among
them -- if you want to keep complete control of something, then you
shouldn't put it out into the open-source community, where other people
will begin to invest considerable amounts of time and effort and, I
believe rightfully, feel they've earned just as much of a say in its
future direction as its author.

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)