ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Roger Vaughn" <rvau...@pobox.com>
Subject RE: Automatically importing a directory of .jar files.
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2001 13:23:46 GMT
>> I want to make it easy for my projects to be downloaded and
>> built without any
>> major CLASSPATH hacks.  I am putting all my .jar files into
>> PROJECT/lib but I am
>> hving to manually add EACH .jar into the "classpath"
>> attribute on the javac
>> task.
>
> That's what extension directories are for - use the extdirs parameter
> to javac.
>
> Jon

Without jar versioning, extdirs are a fairly broken idea.  If you can get away with always
have the same versions of the same jars in your VM, it's a great idea.  I found that the concept
might work in a deployment environment - *if* you deploy a separate VM for each application
- but for a developer, it just isn't practical.

I would love to see Sun take this idea a bit further and actually add versioning to jars.
 If you could put something like this in your application manifests:

  <requires jar="xerces.jar" version="1.4.0"/>

the extdirs system might be much friendlier.

roger