ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Introduction of Multithreading
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2001 15:43:25 GMT
On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 01:37, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Peter Donald <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:
> > Kewl .. now we just gotta find a nice way of dealing with standard
> > input ;)
>
> Patch to deal with it in the context of PumpStreamHandler has been
> sent to this list yesterday.  This should make it work for <exec> and
> <java>, I haven't looked at it at all though.
>
> But I guess this is not what you are talking about.

well what I was talking about is my halfbaked ideas about redirection. One
thing that makes the command line so powerful is you can join together
commads via pipes or whatever. So what I guess I was thinking about was how
to I attach the output of task 1 to task 2's stdin. Trying to figure out a
clean way of doing it is damn hard ;)

Anyways it is not something that we should think about now because there has
only been a few times that people have asked for that sorta functionality.

> Interesting question is, which task should get to read from standard
> input if several tasks run in parallel ...  Maybe all of them?

no idea ;)

> Providing input to tasks is a different beast in that you may want to
> have the GUI pop up a dialog to ask for input instead of falling back
> to standard input.

yup

Cheers,

Pete