ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PATCH: taskdefs and class loaders
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:13:54 GMT
On Thu, 19 Jul 2001 01:08, cmanolache@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Peter Donald wrote:
> > On Wed, 18 Jul 2001 17:17, cmanolache@yahoo.com wrote:
> > > Any half of the patch would help ( if I can load a group of tasks with
> > > the same loader I can resolve my problem ), but I think it's nice to
> > > use a single class loader for a certain classpath ( at lest for
> > > taskdefs ).
> >
> > I am curious what you are using this for. Is it to keep state across task
> > invocations or something else ?
>
> Not only. To keep state across tasks you can use "properties" ( since the
> Hashtable is returned, you can store any object in it - if you want to ).
>
> I have a set of "cooperating tasks" - one is sending a http request,
> few other are manipulating the response, another one is reporting
> results. Doing it all in a single task is ugly.
>
> The problem is each task is in a different loader ( unless I put them in
> CLASSPATH - and I hate that ), and they can't use information from each
> other ( only "system" types can be saved ).
>
> I also prefer to use the task adapter and not extend Task directly ( or
> use internal ant APIs, only the patterns ).

sounds reasonable and impossible todo in current ant ;)

> > > BTW, what's the policy for "optional" tasks ?
> >
> > I am not sure we have a policy. What do you want to do ? ;)
>
> Can any commiter add a new optional task ? Is there a proposal/vote ( and
> maybe a template for the proposal ) ?

Depends on what it is I guess. Personally I just add it and wait for -1s if
they occur ;) However what you are talking about (Http manipulation???) seems
to be very close in purpose to cactus. So that could be a better place for
that sort of stuff...

Cheers,

Pete