ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: in a copy task Filtering does not take place if filter value has changed
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2001 16:17:43 GMT
On Fri,  6 Jul 2001 02:00, Jérôme Lacoste wrote:
> If you modify the build.xml and change the value of the filter task, the
> filtering does not happen.
> In fact copy only checks the time of the files to copy.
>
> Is this a normal behavior?

yep.

> or should it be documented?

yep ;)

> The problem happens with other tasks as well.
> Should these tasks be aware of the last modification time of the build.xml
> file ?

maybe. The only real solution I know is one that has been suggested a few
times before. This is the notion of "coloring" operations. ie In this case
the copy task would be "colored" by the tokens used in copy operation. If the
tokens changed it would be "colored" differently. This color information
(along with file dependencies) is then stored in some other location (ie a
dependency cache). If color changes or other dependency information changes
the operation (ie copy) is executed.

This is the strategy used by a few tools (cons being the prime example IIRC).
However to actually implement this in ant would require a large amount of
work which no one has got around to yet ;)

Cheers,

Pete